Sunday, October 24, 2010

A person I never knew

So my cousin from my father's side of the family posted some pictures on facebook of my paternal grandmother. I don't know this cousin at all, but he somehow knows I exist. I don't know much about my father, only what I heard of him at his funeral last year. I never knew anything about my paternal grandparents other than they died when my father was a child. Its so funny how learning about yourself, your past, and where you came from can make you feel. I am grateful to finally be able to see another side of me, who I am has been a question i've been asking my entire life, but have received no response. I've never seen a picture of my grandmother until now. I have never seen a picture of my father as a child until now. The few summers I spent at his house were usually full of silence. I didn't learn much about him other than he woke up at 4am every single day and would make himself coffee before heading to work. I definitely did not inherit the gene of waking up early, I am not a morning person at all. I don't know if we had anything in common, his favorite color, where he went to school, if he played any sports. The only picture I have of him is from his obituary. Since Facebook is now the greatest thing since slice bread I would like to thank the creators for creating a site that finally allows me to see this moment in time. Without it, I would never have seen this picture and would have always questioned, what my grandmother looked like..now I know.

Here is a picture of my grandmother, Dorothy Mae Cooper Gibson. This is the first time i've ever seen what she looked like.




Here is a pic of my father (first guy on the left) in 1963.

No comments:

Post a Comment